Physical Therapy as Part of the "Conservative Treatment" for Lumbar Disc Herniation, One of the Specializations of NY Sports and Physical Therapy
Results of the study conducted to test the outcome of conservative treatment including physical therapy in patients with lumbar disc herniation showed that there was an improvement of more than 75% that are tagged as “excellent”, greater than 50% consider
Numbness, weakness, and leg or low back pain are results of the bulging of the outer rings of the disc in the spine. People who usually have this and recover from it after a few weeks are not advised to take any type of treatment. However, if the pain caused by lumbar disc herniation becomes fatal, the non-operative or the “conservative” type of treatment is being prescribed my most doctors. In worst case scenarios that the pain does not heal out over time, surgery usually comes next.
Acta Orthopaedica Belgica, conducted a study on the outcomes of conservative treatment for ruptured lumbar disc herniation. In the study, the patients were evaluated on the first, third, and sixth month of conservative treatment, and on the first and second years of undergoing such treatment. The Japanese Orthopaedic Association (JOA) Back Pain Evaluation Questionnaire was used in the study.
“The authors set up a prospective study of the effect of conservative treatment on a ruptured lumbar disc herniation in 89 patients, between June 2008 and June 2010. Seventy-two patients (81%) improved, while the other 17 (19%) needed surgery. The JOA score (best possible result: 29) was found to be significantly improved in the 72 patients of the conservative group, at 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year and 2 years (t-test: p < 0.001). At final follow-up, after 2 years, 84.7% of the patients in the conservative group had a good or excellent result. However, if the 17 surgical cases were included, this proportion dropped to 68.5%. The volume of the protrusion decreased significantly in the 72 patients of the conservative group: from 1422.52 +/- 539.10 mm3 to 102735 +/- 585.51 mm3 (paired t-test: p < 0.001). There was a definite correlation, in the conservative group, between the final resorption rate on the one hand and the percentage of combined excellent and good results on the other hand (72 cases; Spearman rank correlation coefficient: r 0.01 = 0.470, p < 0.001).”
In the so-called “conservative treatment”, patients were asked to perform muscle-strengthening exercises for the abdominals and lower back three times a day while taking celecoxib for one to two weeks, and once a day of the mentioned physical therapy exercises while having three to four weeks of bed rest. Results of the study show that there was an improvement more than 75% that are tagged as “excellent”, greater than 50% considered it as “good”, and 25% considered the treatment “fair”.
In Pleasantville, New York, NY Sports and Spinal Physical Therapy, PLLC provides a kind of physical therapy service that helps patients with cases of lumbar disc herniation. Their patients receive individualized one-on-one sessions and they provide the best care so any patient with the said condition can get back to living life to the fullest!
About NY Sports and Spinal Physical Therapy
Owned and operated by Karn Santikul, DPT, COMT, CSCS, NYSSPT is an outpatient, private practice located in Scarsdale and upper east side of Manhattan. They focus on manual therapies and sports-specific rehabilitation. Their goal is to provide patients with the best care and latest treatments, from the most up-to-date techniques of the industry with the best Physical Therapists delivering it. Their treatments include hands-on manual therapy from joint mobilizations, soft tissue mobilizations, myofascial release, Graston technique, and Kinesio Taping. NYSSPT think this is the best way for their customer to heal as quickly and safely as possible.
New York Sports and Spinal Physical Ther
This is a press release. Press release distribution and press release services by EmailWire.Com: http://www.emailwire.com/us-press-release-distribution.php.