Fundamental Seduction: The Jack Hyles Case. Successor Pastor Arrested
For Immediate Release
Newswire.net -- January 27, 2013) Hammond, IN -- In the 70’s-80’s, Jack Hyles, pastor of the First Baptist Church in Hammond, Indiana was the rising star within the world of Independent Baptist Fundamentalism. Then, scandal enveloped the church when the pastor was accused nationally of having a mistress. Recently, scandal again hit the church when Jack Schaap, the son-in-law of Hyles who succeeded Hyles as pastor, was arrested on federal charges for molesting an under-aged girl. The Chicago Mag featured the church and pastor in its January 2013 issue titled "Let us Prey." Schaap is due to be sentenced on March 20, 2013.
Why is there so much scandal in this church?
In a book recently reissued after decades (Fundamental Seduction) about the pastor and church written by Attorney Voyle A. Glover, the scandals ran deep and include:
● The possible homicide of a 17 month old baby. The chief suspect? David Hyles, the son of Jack Hyles. This child was found to have multiple broken bones in various stages of healing prior to his death. David Hyles would assert his Fifth Amendment rights during the Coroner's Inquest.
● Multiple adulterous affairs by this son (author of a book entitled "Purity").
● Pornographic pictures discovered in a briefcase tossed into a dumpster behind a small Baptist church pastored by David Hyles. The subjects? The wives of men in the church and other women in the church. He resigned the church.
● Jack Hyles boasted he had men on his staff that would commit suicide if he asked them. One of them admitted he would, if asked.
● Staff members who boast that their pastor is so god-like that he does not have a dishonest drop of blood in his body.
● A woman who overhead conversations, as a child, between her mother, a secretary to this Baptist pastor, and the pastor, which always ended with a soft, whispered "I love you.
● The daughter of this famous Baptist pastor, Linda Murphrey, says her father's church was a cult.
● A deacon who molested a child in Sunday School was defended by the pastor who refused to investigate because there was only one eye-witness.
● A former Bible Teacher at the Hyles-Anderson College, run by the church, was convicted of rape, assault and battery on an adopted child.
101 W 75th Pl
Merrillville, IN 46410
This is a press release. Press release distribution and press release services by EmailWire.Com: http://www.emailwire.com/us-press-release-distribution.php.