Free Tax Preparation Help- Reported by the Cochran Firm
Free tax preparation help from the IRS
The VITA program assists individuals that make $51,000.00 yearly or less. Some of the general information provided will be Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit. A near location may be found by visiting http://irs.treasury.gov/freetaxprep/ or calling 1-800-906-9887.
The TCE program assists individuals 60 years of age and older with questions about pensions and retirement. Interested persons may visit http://www.aarp.org/applications/VMISLocator/searchTaxAideLocations.action to find a location or call 1-888-227-7669.
The following items should be brought to the tax preparation site to smooth the process during tax preparation:
• A picture ID,
• Social Security Cards for each person for which the return is being filed (spouse and dependents),
• Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for each person for which the return is being filed,
• Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN,
• Date of Births for each person for which the return is being filed,
• Wage and earning statement (s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc,
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099),
• Copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available,
• Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit of refunds and
• The total paid for daycare provider and daycare provider’s tax identifying number.
To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
The IRS also offers free filing for those who listed less than $57,000 Adjusted Gross Income on last year’s return. In some cases tax payers can also file their state income taxes using this process. Filers may visit www.irs.gov to FreeFile their return.
Everyone is encouraged to file a tax return this year, even if they did not earn enough income to be required to file. Later this year everyone will be required to purchase health insurance due to the Affordable Healthcare Act. Those needing financial assistance to pay for the insurance and meeting government guidelines can produce their tax return to as proof of income.
About the Cochran Firm
Recognized as one of the nation’s premier law firms, The Cochran Firm handles cases on behalf of clients seeking a Personal Injury lawyer, Criminal Defense, Medical Malpractice or Social Security Disability lawyer. The Firm can be reached at 1-800-THE-FIRM (1-800-843-3476) or visit their website at http://www.cochrannation.com. “Working For You.” Article by Ben Irwin, Esq.###
163 West Main Street
Dothan, Alabama 36301
This is a press release. Press release distribution and press release services by EmailWire.Com: http://www.emailwire.com/us-press-release-distribution.php.